Friday, April 12, 2013

In Vain

My mother was an active duty military soldier. We moved around a lot; never staying in one place more than two years. I was constantly uprooted from my friends, and with every move I set out with expectations of finding companionship. My childhood was a constant journey, taken alone, with hopes of finding someone to connect with everywhere I went. While traveling to a new place, I had desires of being back at the place I was moving from; my mind would be filled with memories of the past and a desire to belong to that time again. This experience deeply influenced my thinking when creating this body of work. 

Throughout this video sequence, I am sending the viewer on a journey of lost hope through an investigation of space that is filled with remnants of the past. By photographing the university campus in which I am attending, I am capturing commonly populated places void of the human presence. In doing so, I am depicting the visual silence of these unoccupied spaces.

Accompanying the images are sound recordings that allude to the human presence which is negated by the images. The video then, becomes a journey through still moments that have past, while the sound recordings serve two purposes: to guide the viewer through time and space, and to become memories embedded in the spaces to signify the lack of a human presence. Throughout this work I want the viewer to consider the sounds they hear in relation to the spaces they see, as the video is played continuously on a loop to leave the viewer continuing on this journey with unanswered questions and no visible end. 



No comments:

Post a Comment